Dear G.O.P ,
Though the letters P and D may look similar if you squint your eyes and tilt your head sideways, you are not the G.O.D. party. Please stop blaspheming by telling me that my faith dictates that I must vote for you. This is what I know: Jesus was not a bigot. While on Earth he condemned closed minded conservatives called Pharisees (who cared only for the tradition of faith), clearly spoke out against racial segregation, recognized the rights of previously ignored women, and advocated compassion for all, especially the poor.
These are things I think about when I hear you speaking for all of Christianity on C-Span.
Your exhausting fight for Prayer in Schools:
(from the sermon on the mount)
"Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in Heaven. Matthew 6:1
And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of man. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. Matthew 6:5
But thou, when whou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. Matthew 6:6 "
The growing mound of evidence outlining your Corporate Conservative Greed:
(can you say Hall-I-Burton?)
"And the Jews' Passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. John 2:13
And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting: John 2:14
And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changer's money, and overthrew the tables; John 2:15
And said onto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my father's house an house of merchandise. John 2:16"
The dismantling of Social "Liberal" Programs:
"The Young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet? Matthew 19:21
Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. Matthew 19:22 "
In closing, I would like to state that Jesus wanted a revolution. Shame on you for fostering paradigm paralysis in his name.
For those of you who have been simultaneously reading this letter and signing your Focus on The Family checks, don't worry about me, I'll be okay.
Sincerely,
A Moderate
P.S. It would be counterproductive to pray that I outgrow my immature views. I'm doing the same for you.
Thanks to Mike Filicicchia's facebook group for inspiration.

No comments:
Post a Comment