Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Dear Hungry Man in Detroit,

Dear Hungry Man in Detroit,
I would like to commend you on your exceedingly effective change collection tactic. Others, with a cup or an outstretched hand, implore the baseball watching masses to give what they will. A passerby can easily dismiss them by simply looking the other way, or internally reasoning that the person wants too much, or that they will use said donation on vice or the like.
You, on the other hand, have honed a technique that could easily take the panhandling profession by storm. Combining a stalker/specificity approach, you were able to squeeze me for every last dime I had. Literally. Granted, Joe and I together had a grand total of $2.25 (in quarters) to our names, but, after said technique was employed, you walked away a richer man than we.
As a courtesy, I will now clue you in on my side of the transaction, as I’m sure your market research budget is somewhat overdrawn at this juncture. You were effective in acquiring our change because:
1)You were specific. Naming the amount you wanted, 75cents, put things into perspective. I probably had 75 cents, and I could most definitely spare it. It was in no way an unreasonable request, and it made me think that maybe you were going to buy food with it* because I, too, have scrounged for quarters (in my car seats) in order to buy two sliders.
2)You put forth effort. Though I did not think for one second that you actually cared about the outcome of the baseball game, your inquiry instantly made you a person. This directly combated my former change keeping maneuver, that operated on the premise that those without a face or voice could be ignored, because I could quickly forget about them. Once someone is a person, I cannot imagine him or her away, like we selfish suburbanites often do. Instead, I must internalize you as a fellow human, just like me, in need, and not a “huddled mass” that can easily be overlooked.
3)You were semi scary in a passive way. Walking towards us from across the street showed that you were speaking only to us. This made us realize early on that we could not rely on fellow sidewalk travelers to address your concerns. Beyond that, your dedication to imploring us past our initial shoulder shrugging, and the adjustment of your gait to match ours signaled that you might have actually got in the truck and come home with us if we did not find anything to give you right then.
4)You made me think about you. Evidence: this letter.
Good luck in future endeavors.
Sincerely,
Tigers Fan

P.S. Next game, as part of my own market research, I’m going to make you a sack lunch. Do you want strawberry or grape jelly?


*Foot note to point #1: I, in no way, care what you did with the aforementioned trifle. Unlike some people that I have recently spoken with, I don’t have a problem feeding whatever it is that is keeping you warm or alive. I am not your judge, and cannot imagine ever being that condescending.

7 comments:

tina fabulous said...

i agree w/ your footnote. why would i care if crazy hobo uses my change to buy drugs and/or booze?
thats what I had planned on buying with it.

Anonymous said...

see "simple but nice" for a story for you...

KayMac said...

Love this post. one of my favorites so far. I think you should do one of each, btw.

Tracey, in MI said...

hmmm this post has bothered me all day.

I'm "one of those" people, I give food, instead of cash, I give what they say they need- instead of cash.

I hadn't thought about it being a judgement, but a protection. Since my dad is a recovering addict- I know that sometimes "bottom" hits when the addict, can't get another hit.

I feel challenged though- to look at my attitude, and see what my deal is- the post was great, keep it up...

;)

Anonymous said...

dear tracey, i don't think that is a bad thing that you choose to provide in that way. I prefer to give food rather than moneys too. Sometimes it just can't be helped though.

Stefanie said...

Hey Ange:) Good Post! One time I was in Detroit with Deb at night taking pictures. There was this really sweet older gentleman who kept us company for a while. He eventuaaly wished us a good night, told us to keep safe and then asked if we had any spare change. I felt so bad turning him down, but I didn't have any money on me. He gave us the saddest face I've ever seen. He didnt repeat his request and was not persistant, he was just sad, as if we were his only hope for the night. You were right about how someone becomes a person and that makes a difference. I wish I had some change in my pocket for that guy.

Daughter of the Most High King said...

Okay, so I'm back-reading some of your posts, but I think your foot note is awesome. Just needed to get that out. :)


Mel Spears