Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Dear A Stapler,


Dear A Stapler,
A letter of thanks is in order at this time, and I intend to deliver it, as late as it may be. This thank you is all inclusive, and applies to both the sturdy rubber bottom desk stapler and the mini backpack stapler, the electrically driven automatic stapler and the Bob Vila style staple gun, for you handy types.
Of all desk effects, you are the most taken for granted, and yet, the most functional. You are as dynamic as your title of compound machine suggests. Your subtle presence screams office building, yet affirms home. Your ability to puncture flesh lets us know that you are not messing around, and that next to the paper shredder, you are the one to watch. And yet, your simple ease of use and performance asserts a sense of comfort and dependability.
You are the golden retriever of office supplies. You sit patiently, waiting to helpfully bind pages of homework, receipts, or litigation. You are loyal and bring together.
You are also an absolute necessity when any kind of paperwork is to be done. In fact, I would have a slight knot in my stomach if you were missing in any kind of paper situation. Your work is quick and permanent, unlike your inept associate, Paper Clip. Unlike Clip, your clamping does not slide off unexpectedly, or hide in inconvenient places like the bottom of pen holders.
Sure, you jam up sometimes and occasionally run out of staples every 300 clicks. But Stapler, I know this is just to remind me of your presence and gain some needed attention. You do a good job, Stapler, I will write you a recommendation anytime.

Sincerely Yours,
A Receptionist

P.S. I didn’t forget about you, A Staple Remover. I know that you are underappreciated, and are always there to clean up after A Stapler, who gets all the glory. Stay strong, your time will come. Keep your chin up.

Note: I was inspired to write about my love of the stapler while reading John Mayer's Dear A Pear.



12 comments:

Sara said...

A Stapler rules.

KayMac said...

You reminded me that my stapler has gone too long unappreciated...so I sent flowers today.

Anonymous said...

Ilove Stapler!!!! My favorite!!!
I prefer the swingline but without the staple-gun us Marta Stewart types would be lost forever...How to re-upholster your furnature using only....You guessed it folks...A Stapler!!!!!!!

Tracey, in MI said...

I can't find my stapler. I can't find my stapler. I need my stapler. I miss my stapler.

I will buy a new stapler. I must;)

KayMac said...

Great...now my tape dispenser is demanding flowers AND lunch. Will this ever end?

KayMac said...

I am sure I saw a petition floating around to start a union for overworked and underpaid office supplies.

Anonymous said...

Do you realize that there is no appropriate time to run out of staples? You never get a warning that it's about to happen, it just happens. It's always a small shock when I go to clamp on the stapler and then nothing happens. Then I get slightly annoyed that i have to set the bunch of papers down to fill the stapler back up agian then neatly arrange the set of papers back again. Aside from the staplers small flaw, I do love stapler.

KayMac said...

JT, do you ever try to staple a few more times BEFORE opening it up to check to see if it is empty?

tina fabulous said...

i have by far the best stapler in my entire office. it is silver and black and shiny and perfect. it can also serve as an emergency mirror, should the need arise. i've already expressed my searing hatred for any idiots daring to touch my stapler.
and i can remove the bottom thingy in case i ever have something very tiny i need to hide in there. which could totally happen.

Stapler be thy name!

DT said...

Hey Kaymac. I agree with JT there is no good time for an empty stapler. Why would we staple unless it was necessary? Which is why after the initial shock of a dry fire you click it a couple more times as if there has been some sort of misfire.

KayMac said...

DT, that is why I asked. I wondered if i was the only one.

hippieange83 said...

Today at work I was checking my stapler out, and realized that, behold, I have a secret compartment to mine as well. As I began to wonder about things to keep inside (a chicklet perhaps, or twine?) I started to wonder why it existed at all. Do office workers have lots of tiny treasures to store? As I examined it closely, I realized that something was printed in plastic inside the compartment. I could'nt find my glasses, so I had to wait to see what it said. When I finally located them, I could read the word very clearly. "Staples" OOOOOOHHHHHHH. I GET IT.