Do you ever feel pressure to make a statement (about ANYTHING)? What is the statement? How do you make it? What, in this process, do you not really want to do? How does this change who you are? Do you think your statement is made? What is the importance of making it? Is it worth it? Why?
Sunday, December 03, 2006
Pressure
A selection from PostSecret 12/3/06:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
This post is from Molly's need to relate. The definition of the word "statement" is the expression of an idea or opinion through something other than words. I think a majority of the decisions we make and things we do are statements. We do or don't talk to some people because we want them to notice and have a reaction to it. We want that to be our statement to them. We drive faster or slower to make a statement to people on the road about our personal safety(or lack thereof). And so on, and so forth. But in reality, do they really care? Do they even notice? I mean, if everybody understood each other I imagine the word itself would have a different meaning altogether. I guess what I'm saying is that statements in their original meaning are useless if nobody listens, or notices. But I don't that's the case. Statements are for ourselves, so we know that what we believe and think and feel are worth making noise about. Noiticable or not, statements are what make us unique.
Great point by Molly (somehow when I typed Molly's name I got the lower-case Greek letter mu - ยต - weird). But I think that the big issue for me and statements is how do you make them without alienating your potential audience. I mean, if you have the where-with-all to make a statement, about anything, you must want people to hear it, believe it and then in turn spread the word or message or whatever through action. But, if you mis-select your audience you might end up damaging your cause, whatever it is.
Post a Comment