Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Books!



This is an old post, but I just got tagged by V to fill it out again, so I redated it. It is also a way better feeling this time around, since last time no one really tagged me. Another reason to re-post is that I don't think anyone that I tagged (except A Good Story) completed the tag. Ta-daa:

1. One book that changed your life: Maniac McGee, by Jerry Spinelli.
It is a YA fiction about a homeless teenager and a racially divided city. It made me think about and challange ideas that I held for no reason. ~Like, Wait a second..why can't white and black people get married again? Hold on, you mean, not all parents are good people? Are you telling me that sometimes people who used to be rich an famous can end up with nothing to eat? There are people who have nothing to eat?! ~ It also taught me how to LOVE reading and showed me what a book should be like.

2. One book that you’ve read more than once: Catcher in the Rye, J.D. Salinger
I have probably read it about 40 times. A close second is The Giver, Lois Lowery.

3. One book you’d want on a desert island:
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. I think the only way I would ever have time to figure out Joyce is if I were on a desert island.

4. One book that made you laugh:
High Fidelity, Nick Hornby. The movie is funny, but the book is hystarical. And moving, and insightful.

5. One book that made you cry:
A tie.
All Quiet on the Western Front, Erich Remarque. Lord of the Flies, William Golding.

6. One book you wish had been written:
Instructions on How to be Kind in All Situations - A Church Mom Handbook for Closet Wenches by Della Darty

7. One book you wish had never been written:
Any book of hate. Mein Kampf, and the like. I wish they had not been written, but I think that since they were, it is right that they were published and that we still have copies. Now they can be used as learning tools.

8. One book you’re currently reading:
Praise Habbit, David Crowder. related quote "On the way to Red Robin I had David Crowder on and I was making up a song about my new Bible being red and sitting on my seat. I think I was finding God in my car."~Kristin

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read:
The Myth of a Christian Nation: How the Quest for Political Power Is Destroying the Church, Gregory Boyd. I have purchased it and have decided it is a topic I want to explore. Now I have to find time.

10.One book you will eventually read again:
Custom of the Country, Edith Wharton. It is such an involved story line that spans almost an entire lifetime. Yet, it is a quick read in relationship to how long it is. Its just...great.

11. Tag 5 others: AndieAnn, Lindsay, Juliane (on facebook if you have to), Stefanie, and Kristin

3 comments:

KayMac said...

loved reading your picks and why you picked what you did.

V. said...

Good post, I have to get started on some of those books. Thankfully the used book store down the block from me is having a 40% off sale. WOO HOO!!!

All used and rare books. I can't wait.

Vicki Sue said...

I LOVE used and rare books... treasures!!